Wise Quotes From our Founding Fathers
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Founding Father Quotes or its owners. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and not intened to malign any religion, ethic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything.
----------- Begin Article -----------
Does it seem as though we are relying more and more on past personalities and their comments to give us sage advice instead of developing our own morality and intellect? Who determines what is a wise quote, a funny quote or even any comment that should be immortalized by the ages?
In the 1700's in the United States, the intellect among the founding fathers was staggering. Not just the notable intellects of the day, such as Thomas Jefferson who penned the Declaration of Independence and many other notable writings, but all of those who signed the Declaration of Independence were amazing scholars.
In fact, historians often group the "founding fathers" into the Signers of the Declaration of Independence and the Framers who were delegates to the Federal Convention. Others say the founding fathers should only be identified with at six key figures who took part in winning American independence from Britain: Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Jay, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton.
In the United States, we have many wise quotes and sayings [http://internetforchristians.com/], and also inspirational Christian quotes [http://internetforchristians.com/christian-quotes-that-will-revive-your-soul], still common from our founding fathers, their writings and some of the heroes of the Revolutionary war. Many Sunday school lessons for adults [http://internetforchristians.com/are-we-too-busy-for-sunday-school-lessons] quote from our Founding Fathers in their lessons, and their quotes are often alluded to in debating how far the Supreme Court has moved away from the spirit of the Constitution. Here are some of them:
1. "Little strokes fell great oaks." - Benjamin Franklin in Poor Richard's Almanac, 1750
2. "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." - Thomas Paine, 1777
3. "I Pray Heaven to Bestow the Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE and on ALL that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof!" - John Adams, 1800
4. "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite." - James Madison, 1788
5. "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians and on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." - Patrick Henry, 1765
6. "Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience." - George Washington, 1737
7. "Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshiped. That the most acceptable service we render to Him is in doing good to His other Children. That the soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with Justice in another Life respecting its conduct in this. These I take to be the fundamental points in all sound Religion and I regard them as you do in whatever Sect I meet with them. As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us, is the best the World ever saw, or is likely to see." - Benjamin Franklin, 1790
Ken Cunningham is a member of the Internet for Christians writing team. The company provides funny life quotes to live by, homeschool software, praise music, gift ideas, and many other informative articles and reviews.
----------- End Article -----------
If you find it useful, please help support this site by sharing this document via social media, or mention our site on your blog or other work.